Heart Of St. Kitts Sustainability Charter
The Heart of St. Kitts Sustainability Charter aims to:
- Celebrate local businesses who commit to sustainability and help tell their unique sustainability story
- Harness collective action across the private sector to achieve positive impacts in our community at scale
- Advance the objectives and impacts of St. Kitts’ Sustainable Destination Council to improve the quality of life of all residents and enhance the tourism experience for all visitors
The Heart of St. Kitts Sustainability Charter focuses on three main themes: Natural Resource Management, Community Participation, and Operational Management. Each theme has six best practices as listed below.
For each best practice, the Sustainability Charter lists three to five concrete actions to give businesses ideas on tasks they could implement.
The example below depicts how the best practices and actions appear within the Charter.
Best practice LOCAL ENTERPRISES
- Partner with local taxis and tour operators for
- Promote local restaurants and source produce and protein from local farmers
- Offer locally-produced souvenirs and display artwork from local artists
- Acquire all necessary permits and licenses; pay all applicable taxes
- Adhere to all national COVID-19 Guidelines for your industry
- Adhere to all human resources, environmental, noise, light, and pollution regulations